Pages


Saturday, February 26, 2011

Alter Space at the Nurture Spa Village in Tagaytay

By Sai

I am in Nurture Spa Village in Tagaytay right now for the Alter Space Event by Aboitiz Power. So what am I doing here? I advocate for their cause that's why I confirmed my attendance in this event. If you've noticed I am really into saving the environment and today Aboitiz Power introduces their newest Facebook application that will somehow help us save our environment.

Alter Space is the first of its kind - Philippine-made Facebook game that talks about how we could actually reduce our carbon footprint. Before I actually proceed with this post, I know what's on your mind - what is carbon footprint as well as what we all love to say it, "The hell I care about that carbon footprint thingy!" Well, my fab friend, FYI, you are responsible for global warming and other sudden changes in the environment such as climate change. The good thing about it is that there's something you can do.

I personally tried playing the game and I think it's so cute! Why?
  1. The design is very approachable (even kids can relate to it and they can also play it).
  2. The game represents scenario in real life that will help us realize how to lessen our carbon footprints.
  3. It gives us the idea that decreasing our carbon footprints are possible and that it's not hard to practice.
  4. It teaches us another way to save Mother Earth.
I've been starting to support advocacies about saving our environment lately (publicly speaking) but I've been into this since grade school. I personally want to save energy (my own energy per se) and I am a firm believer of being responsible of our actions that will, in the long run, affect our precious environment.

The apps looks like this:
This is how it looks like when you're about to start playing the game. Of course, you need to choose your planet's name first :)

Oh yeah! My avatar is sleeping!
You can even play some mini games in this cool app!
Basically, your job is to increase your avatar's experience and happiness level with the lowest possible carbon foot prints that you can consume. The lesser carbon footprints you produce, the better.

You might be asking what is carbon footprint? It is basically the amount of carbon dioxide we emit with every action we make. If you've payed attention to your Physics or General Science class way back high school, you'll probably heard about energy and its concepts. The more energy/effort/force we exert, the more carbon footprints we produce. What's the point?

It is very evident that we are experiencing sudden climate changes, deadly storms and other natural phenomenas that are most likely not to happen if we've taken care of our environment more. We are experiencing climate change and Green House Effect. I won't explain everything here because it's your science teacher's job to let you know about thermal inversion, pollution and everything about the scientific side of this. To make it more simple, carbon dioxide produces more heat and once it's trapped in the atmosphere. Therefore, heat cannot escape the atmosphere into space and it continues circulating in the troposphere to the stratosphere (I hope I remember my atmosphere class well). Since I'm a believer of "To see is to believe" check out the images below to understand what I'm saying above (the text version is somewhat geeky but this one's the best representation of thermal inversion)
This is under normal condition.
This is thermal inversion.
What's the answer to solve this problem? Lessen our carbon footprints. I really think you should try the Alter Space because you'll have an idea how much carbon footprints are being produced by doing our daily activities. Now that you know this let's all support saving our environment. Start with your own initiative of not throwing garbage anywhere or just by simply turning off the lights when not in use. Stay pretty and responsible fab friends! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...