Pages


Thursday, March 13, 2014

Fight and #SeeTheSigns of Domestic Violence against Women

Avon See The Sign Domestic Violence against Women True Story

This photo is perfect for a #ThrowbackThursday but more than that it's also perfect for the #SeeTheSign Campaign by Avon Philippines. It's a campaign to fight and spread awareness about domestic violence against women. This is my friend - a sweet and caring friend, a lover and a battered wife.
She's the closest person to me besides my family. My family treats her as our own. She's my sister from another mother, if you know what I mean. We first met during my junior year in college. She was talkative and I'm the quite type. I did not know that we'll click together but fate brought us together. I have witnessed her struggles in life and so did she with mine. We laughed together, defend each other and even loved "us" more than we loved our boyfriends back then. Haha! If one of us could have been a lesbian, we might end up together. That's how much we love each other.

I was her makeup artist during her wedding. Her wedding was so nice but I will never forget her last question before she tied the knot, "Bru, parang hindi ako sure. Itutuloy ko ba?" It's the saddest thing I ever heard. 

Years passed and every time we get the chance to sit down and talk it's always about how her husband hits her. What's worst is that this guy has a mistress. As her friend, it really hurts to hear her stories. With all the things she had done and had sacrificed for their love, this is what she gets in return. Thinking about what she asked me before her lifetime vow, I should have said, "No. 'Wag na! You deserve better." If only I knew better then.

This is a true story of my friend and a story of some of our friends and people we don't know. Some were raped and some were beaten by their father. In this time when women has all the power in their hands to rule the world, there are still those who cannot speak for themselves. Michelle Phan has recently posted a video about #RememberTheGirl and the number 146. It's the same thing. It's a sad story and this happens every day.

Aside from Avon's advocacy in fighting breast cancer, Avon launches the #SeeTheSigns campaign, an international effort to help stop domestic violence against women. Abuse is not only through physical means. The mere fact that someone tells you you're stupid or that your existence in this world is pointless is abuse.

Avon is raising funds to support and fight domestic violence. The Empowerment Circle of Support Necklace and the Skin So Soft Protect and Enhance Whitening Hand and Body Lotion are symbols of your support to women who are being violated and do things against their will. The Empowerment Circle of Support Necklace retails for P399 but you can get it for only P199 while the SSS Protect and Enhance Whitening HBL retails for only P330. A portion of the money you used to purchase these items will be given to the Avon Speak Out Fund to support Avon's NGO partners and promote awareness about violence against women.

Skin So Soft Protect and Enhance Whitening HBL Avon Speak Out against Domestic Violence against women Empowerment Circle of Support Necklace Avon Speak Out against Domestic Violence against women

Aside from buying these items from your Avon Lady, I would also want you to post an inspirational message to all women who are in this situation. Post on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr or any social media page that you might have and use the hashtag #SeeTheSigns and #RememberTheGirl. I really support these campaigns and advocacy as I am also a women.

Here's a sample that you can retweet or regram:

Let us do our own little share to help them. I am leaving you this quote from Edward Everett Hale: 

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."

Spread the word now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...