Pages


Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Fashionista on AIDS and HIV

By Sai

Project Head Shot Clinic by Niccolo Cosme
I'm pretty sure you've heard of AIDS and HIV. I encountered these acronyms during my 4th grade and continued studying these diseases/infections until college. When someone mentions AIDS and HIV we instantly think that it's a contagious disease. It has no cure. It's a gay thing. I hate to break it to you but there's something more than that! There's something you need to know about it and I'm happy to be the one to share the news that will break your AIDS/HIV myths.

In the Philippines 4 TO 5 PEOPLE ARE BEING INFECTED BY HIV EVERY DAY. Now this statistics is freaking me out! Imagine this: If 5 people are being infected by HIV each day, I'm afraid that there'll come a time that all of the people you meet are HIV positives. We don't want this. Actually, we are still fortunate (yes, we still have to look at the brighter side) because our statistics for HIV infections is quite low compared to other countries. However, I don't think we should slack. The fact that we have at least 4 infections each day, I strongly believe that we should take precautionary measures.

It took me a while to post this article because of my dilemma. I don't know if I'm against or pro-RH Bill. Now what does RH Bill has to do with this post? One thing. To use or not to use condoms (and other contraceptives per se). I have to figure out my side first before talking about AIDS and HIV. So here it is, now my mind is clear. I am pro-RH Bill. Now, I don't know everything about it but for this post I will be talking about usage of condoms.

There are three ways for you to be infected by HIV as follows:
  • Unprotected sexual intercourse
  • Blood Transfusion
  • Genetics (through an infected mother to her baby in her womb)
As you can see the number one in this list is "unprotected sexual intercourse." Not all of us are comfortable using condoms. Not all of us know how to use it properly. We need to use condoms for our own protection. Some people who are infected by HIV doesn't know that they have it. It takes 3 weeks to 6 months for the virus to manifest some symptoms. That's why it's also a good practice for all of us to take the HIV test. I know this will be hard for guys since you have your ego to battle this idea out. Just think about this, it's for your own good. We only have one life and you have to be sure that you're always safe as much as you can. If you've been with different people on different beds then you have to be sure that you're  not spreading the virus or that new girl that you're hitting on will not give you a lifetime disease. Using a condom will not hurt us. Same for ladies out there. I'm not JUST saying this just to please myself or to look so angelic about the topic. I took the test and believe me I was very (as in, VERY) nervous before the DOH personnel called my name. My heart was beating so fast. The fact that I'm going to see an unknown result is just freaking me out! Why? Check the answers below.

There are 4 body fluids that would transfer HIV from one person to another:
  • Blood
  • Vagina secretion
  • Semen
  • Breastmilk
I conquered my fear of knowing the freaking HIV test result. I said to myself, "If I have it, I have to know it right away so that I can do something about it." I hope you say the same to yourself. It doesn't mean that if you're loyal to your partner, you're already safe. It doesn't mean that if you're still a virgin, you're safe. There's too many considerations. You'll never know unless you take the test. When I found out that I'm negative I was so relieved (big smile)

There's nothing to fear. Take the test.

Here's a video a friend shared to me. I find this very interesting and I bookmarked it because this is the best representation why we should use condoms.

Please support UNAIDS in thei HIV Prevention Revolution. Become their fan on Facebook. Use the HIV Prevention Revolution Twibbon to show your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...