Pages


Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Makeup Tips for Aspiring Makeup Artists



 

When you're at that point where you want to turn your makeup hobby to a profession, here are some of the tips I want to share to all aspiring makeup artists out there.
PALETTES




Palettes will be your makeup bestfriend! It's very practical and economical to have a makeup palette - eyeshadow palettes, lip color palettes and the like - if you're starting with makeup as a profession. It will save you a LOT of money! You'll have all the colors that you need for the eyes, cheeks and lips without spending too much. Collecting single eyeshadows and blush colors as well as lipsticks can too pricey most of the time. Of course, you can do this when you're earning enough to buy and try different makeup from makeup brands.

I personally recommend getting Dollface Cosmetics' 88 Color Palette for a start. You have all the neutral colors that you might need for wedding gigs and party events plus fun colors for costume parties and fashion shows. I have one in my makeup stash and I LOVE IT! <3


This palette is priced at only Php800! Quite affordable!

MAKEUP BRUSHES




If you want to be a professional makeup artist, you have to invest in good brushes. You don't want to apply makeup to your client's face using your bare fingers. That's a big no-no!

Makeup brushes will help you achieve the look that you want. From smokey eyes to contouring your face. Here are some of my suggestions for makeup brushes.

CHARM PRO-BRUSHES



These brushes are in my shopping list! I've been hearing a lot of gorgeous reviews about these brushes. Their pro-line has everything that you need - from eyeshadow brushes to face brushes. It's also affordable! You can get this entire brush set for only Php3,450.

DOLLFACE COSMETICS 28-PC BRUSH SET


Here's another brush set that is affordable. It has a complete set of eyeshadow brushes for blending and contouring. It's priced at Php1,800

SIGMA BRUSHES


Brushes from Sigma Beauty is very famous in YouTube because Sigma brushes has been featured so many times by Beauty Gurus. There are brushes from pro to travel kits. What I like about these brushes is that you get a free brush holder. You can just choose which one works best for you. Of course, here are some of the brushes that I think are essential to your beauty arsenal.

Travel Kit - Make me Classy ($59.00)

 

Premium Kit ($149.00)


 

Extravaganza Face Kit ($210.00)

 

Extravaganza Complete Kit ($510.00)

  

TRAIN CASE/ MAKEUP CASE

You don't have to get a big train case right away especially when you are on a budget. You can start with vanity cases like the one below in department stores.


I use this case a lot! It's very handy and stores all the makeup that I need for my gigs. You also have to remember that it's a good practice to talk to photographers or event organizers on what the concept of the models' makeup in your makeup gigs so you know which product to carry with you. Most of the time, you cannot use all the makeup that you bring with you in makeup gigs. Plus, it's very practical. I got mine in SM Department Store. I actually have another one in pink and it's my first "makeup case." You can check my blog about that here

Of course, it's a good investment to have a professional train case. Here are some of my recommended train cases.

LEGALLY VAIN

They have a lot of train cases from personal sizes to pros.





BUILD YOUR MAKEUP PORTFOLIO


As any artist, you need to build your portfolio. Most clients will ask for this. It will show your clients what you can do for them and for their events. I have partnered with different photographers and magazines for my makeup portfolio. If you don't want to pay for models and photographers for your portfolio I recommend that you participate in x-deals. X-deals are technically exchange of services or expertise for the common good of all. Partner with photographers and models who are also building their portfolio. You get an instant photographer and model for your portfolio at absolutely 0 cost ;)

NETWORK


What is Facebook for? You have to build your network and the easiest way is through your social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Start advertising with your friends. You can even make a little makeover party in your house. Take a photo of your friends and put that in your makeup portfolio. Starting small is not a crime. Once your family or friends like what you did to their makeup they will undoubtedly advertise you too! Oh, the power of word-of-mouth advertising!

BE ON TOP OF YOUR GAME

Learning is, indeed, a never-ending process. You should know what's the color of the year, what's the latest makeup trend and learn the basics of makeup. This will help you enhance your skills more. Remember, skills are like a pencil - continue sharpening it ;)

There you have it! I hope you find this article helpful. This is what I learned from my own experience as a makeup artist for quite some time now. What else do you want me to tackle? I will try my best to help you through this blog. Just let me know through your comments below :)

Tata ladies!

♥♥♥ Don’t forget to follow me! ♥♥♥ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...