Pages


Monday, October 17, 2011

Who is Vicente Manansala?

By Sai


I'll be attending the Freeway event tomorrow in honor of Vicente Manansala, National Artist, and his work on Freeway's latest collection. I'm really excited to meet him through Freeway's clothes! Last Freeway event, I got the chance to meet F. Sionil Jose and I even got a book from him with his message (Cool, ey?)!

Of course, I want to go to Freeway's event as prepared as I possibly can. Again, I don't know everything and everyone so I research on who Vicente Manansala is.

I always admire people who can draw. I admire people who can paint (simply because I can't). I can say that his style falls more on the "cubism" category. It's so amazing how people like him can imagine and portray things in polygons. Most of his works portrays life at the barrio and cities.

Here are some of his works:

  • Madonna of the Slums
  • Jeepneys
  • Kalabaw (Carabao), oil on canvas, 28.5 inches x 38 inches, 1965
  • Murals "Stations of the cross " in the Church of the Parish of the Holy Sacrifice
  • Bangkusay Seascape. 1940. Oil on canvas. 14 x 18 inches.
  • Pila Pila sa Bigas (Left and Right). 1980. Oil on canvas. 51 x 84 inches.
I'm hoping to learn a lot about him tomorrow! Yay! Spell E-X-C-I-T-E-D!

Thank you Freeway for this opportunity :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...