Pages


Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The controversial "What's your mix?" Bayo Ad Campaign


What's your mix? This is Bayo's question in their latest ad campaign. The call-to-action? Give them your race mix and relate that to [quote]mixing and matching Bayo clothes to bring out your own MIXED personality[unquote].


My first reaction was... what???


Sure, Jasmine Curtis-Smith was pretty and all but when I saw the "50% Australian and 50% Filipino" line in her photo I just said, "She's so pretty! But I still like Anne more." Then I browsed the other photos and I felt something is wrong... REALLY WRONG! And then the word that will never die came to my mind and best described everything - RACIST!
Of course, who am I to judge an ad campaign, right? So, as a responsible netizen I researched. And I came across this copy from the original Bayo ad.

This is just all about MIXING and MATCHING. Nationalities, moods, personalities and of course your fashion pieces. Call it biased, but the mixing and matching of different nationalities with Filipino blood is almost a sure formula for someone beautiful and world class. We always have that fighting chance to make it in the world arena of almost all aspects. Be it Fashion, Music, Science and Sports. Having a Filipino lineage is definitely something to be proud of. 

This campaign is also just about having fun creating our own look in accordance to your mood or present state of mind. Bayo strongly encourages everyone to be bold, fearless, undaunted and unrestricted in mixing and matching their clothes. Mix tops and bottoms, dresses with pants, plain on plain, print on print, print on plain, and the list can go on and on. There are no more conventions and do's and don'ts. Fashion now, can be anything and everything. Bayo's strength has always been it's classy, basic and timeless pieces. Only now, mixed and matched with key pieces with twists and turns, accessorized like there's no tomorrow. It easily transforms to edgy and even dares to be sexy! Factor in the right mood and attitude, nothing can go wrong. 

We at Bayo believe that the key to your fashion is knowing

What's your mix?

And lastly, BUY FILIPINO.
I want to tackle this issue point-by-point.

1. When Filipinos marry foreigners (other race), most often than not, the couple end up with pretty offsprings!

Indeed! And I am proud of it! We just had a small talk about this at the office few weeks ago. Many of us have observed this. Best example is Jasmine Curtis-Smith in the Bayo ad campaign. Look at her and her sister, Anne. Pretty, right? And so are most of our TV personalities and celebrities now.

2. Bayo's ad campaign is racist.

Conversations about this thought online is like a typhoon with a storm signal 5. It's giving more and more damage to Bayo and is becoming a bandwagon as more and more people are agreeing with it.

Bits and Facts: My brother commented about it in their Facebook (I think or if not in their website) but Bayo kept on deleting negative comments about the campaign in their site. Hmmmm... Why do you guys keep on deleting bad comments? Can't face your own horror? 

As one of those who agree, why do I think the "messaging" was racist? I believe it's because of the wrong choice of words in their copy. Look at this:
Call it biased, but the mixing and matching of different nationalities with Filipino blood is almost a sure formula for someone beautiful and world class.
This is two thumbs up for a Filipino but how about for non-Filipinos? Does this mean that when you're an American and you marry a Mexican then you end up with ugly kids? Or if you're an African and you marry a Chinese you'll end up with ugly kids? But whatever race you may be and you marry a Filipino then you'll have beautiful kids? --> This, I think, is racist!

Here's more! What if you're a Filipino and you marry your fellow Filipino? Paano na? So, does this mean that you're stuck with  ugly kids? --> Round 2 of "This, I think, is racist!" Boom!

3. The logic of the campaign (or the copy).

Back in PUP, I was really into our subject "Logic." I learned that it's important to really understand "logic" because it will validate your thoughts, your opinions and you'll learn whether something is misleading or not.

Here's the Bayo ad campaign logic:

50% Australian 50% Filipino (Jasmine Smith)
Filipino + Foreigners = Beautiful kids
Therefore, Bayo has a new collection of beautiful fashion pieces that you can mix and match.

What? It just won't fit! In my terms, "sabog ang messaging" especially the last line in their campaign:

We at Bayo believe that the key to your fashion is knowing

What's your mix?

And lastly, BUY FILIPINO.



What's this? Just to put the keywords "Filipino" "mix" and "Bayo" in your message doesn't mean that you have the right thought in mind! Akkk! Bayo? Why did you approve this? Whatever circle I draw, there's just no meeting point at the middle! As much as I wanted to applause the idea, I just can't.

4. The ratio of the "mixes"

Take a look at these photos.




I am just wondering. How did they come up with 30% Indian and 70% Filipino or 80% Chinese and 20% Filipino and 60% African and 40% Filipino? Bayo, please enlighten me. I am confused!

There are really a lot of people who are making fun of this ad. As one of the articles that I've read said, "It has become a meme." You know how Filipinos love doing that!





Everything in this post is just my opinion and if you agree then share this. Now it's my turn to ask you. What's your take?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...